Testing and New Things
Whegs– The whegs we will use for the prototype this month have been ready. The reason why we used these wheels was that they are more suitable and more functional for the prototype. The reason why the wheg is made of three arches is due to the most appropriate shape when the whegs move to the sloping surface. Unlike the previous whegs, these whegs do not have the engine linkage system because we are now using new engines that have two axles, but still are the kind of DC geared motors. So a motor connects to two whegs (where it can be seen in the second photo). Since the two engine axles were not so long to get caught with the whegs, in the two axles we put an iron where this iron would fit into the whegs. Another reason why the wheg does not have the connection system between the engine and the wheg is that as I mentioned above, the engine axles are not so long so they do not touch the wheg. The wheel has a small circle where the iron enters and connects the wheg with the engine.
In the last two photos the motor holder is seen. It’s simple but is functional and perfect for these engines. There are two united parts that have the shape of the rectangle but one in the middle is open to allow the motor shaft to linked with the iron. The motor holder has eight open holes that are needed to capture the engine with the engine holder by means of the bolts. The length of the motor holder is 3,7cm and thickness 0,5cm. The part that is caught with the base has these dimensions: length 4cm, thickness 0,5cm and the part that is attached to the engine length 3,1cm and thickness 0,5cm.
Here is the part where the servo motor will be placed. This is supposed to be so for reasons that will perform two functions: will seize and hold the servo motorin and will seize the motor holder with the bolts. This also has three parts that are attached but the three parts are needed for three different things. The part that is stretched and is slim is required to be caught with the motor holder, the part that is a bit thicker is needed to keep the servo motor, whereas the two parts which are the smaller and have two open holes in them need to capture the servo motor so that it does not falls when the robot is on the trackway. The dimensions are: The part that is stretched and is slim( 4x1cm), the part that is a bit thicker(5,5×2,5cm) and the two parts which are the smaller( 2×0,7cm).
After July and after 3d printing of the parts we needed, we started working on the construction of a new prototype. Since the base had some minor problems and no 3d was printed well, we decided that the base would be from wood. Is light and strong wood that has dimensions 20X11CM. It is also quite wide and long for all the electronic things that will be placed in it. The electronic parts that are used are: batteries, servo motor, DC geared motor, arduino uno,
One of the ways to create a trackway was through machining. Wood is engraved with CNC machine. The wood is cut in such a way that the wheels are fixed to it. The type of wood that we have used is the beech. The reason why we used the beech wood is that the beech wood is more stronger and more sustainable, and also when wood engraving begins, there will be no problems and the wood will not break. The wood has the thickness of 1.8cm and we thought the length of the trackway to be 2m. The reason why this tarckway is done in this way is because the shocks will be soothe when the robot moves. This is not so easy system, but that has done us a lot of work. On the trackway and on the wheels of the wheel is left a space that makes the robot’s arms bend over the movement.
As the prototype was finished and mounted, we started testing it. First we tried to walk the prototype to the ground where we walked without obstacles and difficulties and then we tested it to climb to 45 or 50 degrees.