Taking too long? Close loading screen.

After the arrival of electronic parts we started to work on our new prototype, which we will use for our experiments.

First we started with changing the base. From the base which had somehow the shape of a lizard and was made with laser cut we thought our next base would be made also with laser cut but having a rectangular shape and in the end there would be another part for it which one will catch the tail.

In the first photo are seen two bases that have different sizes. First of all, the base has a large size (length 24cm and width 17cm) and knowing that our prototype should not be so big, we reduced the width of the base while the length remained the same (length 24cm and width 11cm). The width was reduced by 6 cm and from a large width returned to the small width which was also not working because the space for placing the electronic parts was very small, also these two bases did not have the special part where the tail would be located. So we found an average for the base width that would have enough space for the electronics and that would have the special part for the tail. The new base had dimensions (24cm and 14cm) and the special part for the tail is dimensioned (3cm and 1.5cm). 

The shape of the base is simple but there are also some holes on the base that will be needed for catching electronic parts with the base. The holes that are at the ends of the base will be needed for seizing the servos (where the servos are located in their holders) that will move the wheels, with the holes in the middle of the base will be caught Arduino and the 4 holes at the end of the base will be needed for servo of the tail.

After placing the electronics, the tails and the wheels on the floor we saw that we made mistakes that need to be changed. Firstly, wheels on this base had greater chances to touch each other because they were not sufficiently removed from one another and then the robot’s balance was not high because the tail was not placed in the middle of the base, so that these two things force us to create a new base.

Immediately after we saw our mistakes we began by creating a new base. We thought how the whegs did not have the opportunity to touch each other and how the tail was in the middle of the base.

The new base has the widest width and length, there are some added holes, there is space for the tail to be placed in the middle of the base and the back part has two wings outwardly drawn. The reason why the back part has two wings outwardly drawn is that the wheels have no chance of touching each other. 

All holes in the base have the same function as in the previous base only here there are added holes. The holes that are larger are used for servo cables while all others are used to capture other parts.

 Although the part where the servo is placed is not in the middle of the base, this does not mean that the tail is not in the middle because with the servo and the parts that catch the tail with the servo allows the tail to be in the middle of the base. Also, the tail does not stop at all because it has enough space. 

We are going to make some test with this base to see how it works and to see if it is necessary to change something.

As I mentioned last month, the wheg will have another part that is spines. The surface where the wheel will slip along with the spines will not be engraved with the CNC machine and there will be no spaces in the middle of the road to fit with spines but only a mesh.  

Why spines?

They allow greater support of the robot with surface , security is greater for the robot so do not allow the robot to slide,

Since the trackway had a mesh over the wood, we thought we could test the robot by just passing the mesh and not in a mesh underneath it is wood. So we made another network that is captured with two pieces of wood and bolts to be straight and to pass it on (our prototype). This time the mesh was wider, as even the robot was wider. 

After the mesh and prototype was completed, we started with our first robot testing to see if everything was ok. The robot was once tested when the netting was lying on the ground but had a front barrier and the tail was 3D printed with TPU, so it was more flexible. During the climbing , the robot did not encounter much trouble as the tail was giving the robot the right support to stick the obstacle without any great problem. It is seen in the first video that the obstacle is higher than the robot  and during the climb to the obstacle the front whegs climb without the help of the tail,  while the rear wheel with the activation of the tail also climb. 
The tail is key to the robot when climbing, since the tail was not there, then the robot would have a very difficult climb because it would not have the right support for climbing (can be seen in the video).

After testing it in zero degrees and with a soft tail, the next test was made at a creatin height and with 3D tail printed with PLA (not flexible) longer and having the same spines as the whegs. We tested the robot at this height several times. As I have already mentioned, the tail plays a very important role for sticking the robot, and this has been confirmed several times. 

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industrys standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

About

This website is about the Bio Robot Car project that is happening in BONEVET Makerspace.

Find us at

Str. Vëllezerit Frashëri
Gjakovë 50000
Kosova

Contact

+386 49 187 800
info@bonevet.org